Nota Bene

Nota Bene

Nota Bene : La Qualité, Non La Quantité - Forum Atypique Pour & Par la Littérature - Le Forum Que Vous N'Oublierez Pas De Sitôt - Histoire & Cinéma Sont Aussi Sur Nos Etagères - Réservé Aux Lecteurs Gourmets & Passionnés - Extrémistes & Trolls S'Abstenir

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  CalendrierCalendrier  ÉvènementsÉvènements  GalerieGalerie  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  MembresMembres  GroupesGroupes  Connexion  

The King's Speech - Tom Hooper

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
Auteur Message
MC
Littérophage Notabéniste Avec Mention Spéciale.

Féminin
Verseau Chat
Emploi : étudiante
Loisirs : cinéma, lecture, écriture

MessageSujet: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Mer 9 Fév - 21:50

The King's Speech

[Seuls les administrateurs ont le droit de voir cette image]

First and foremost, in passing by, I wonder why the French translation is what it actually is. Le Discours d'un roi...The King's Speech. Even though it could be whatever King, we know that speech is an issue for this King. Please, translators, explain to me how your minds do function. Let' forget this point to concentrate on the film itself.

In the thirties, England has to face the death of a King (George V, played by Micheal Gambon), the rise of Hitler and the forthcoming of another war and unfortunately for Prince Albert, Duke of York (Colin Firth), the rise of broadcasting. The second heir to the throne suffers from stammer, which scare him each time he has public duties for the crown. He has tried to cure it, but in vain. As a last resort, his always-supportive wife (Helena Bonham Carter) calls a speech therapist named Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) to help “Bertie.” Logue's unorthodox methods will puzzle His Royal Highness, and yet they will prove themselves to be quite efficient. Together, as a team, as friends, they will try to overcome Bertie's stammering and his lack of confidence in himself and in his ability to be King.

I am still overflowed with emotion but I think it is legitimate considering the masterpiece I have just seen. You might say it is only because I have just seen Colin Firth but I can be trustworthy from time to time. Colin Firth gives us for sure an intense interpretation of this man whose life has been dictated by rules and harshness. This film may not entirely stick to reality, however one must admit the efficiency with which the characters are displayed, the efficiency with which the audience gets involved in the story, from the beginning to the end. You feel indeed Prince Albert's fears, pains or victories as if you were just at his place. I think that is part of the strength of this film to enable its audience such a wide range of emotion, from laughs to tears.

Tom Hooper have treated Duke of York's stammering with humility and great intensity. That does not mean that he directed a grave and serious film. It is indeed because of what is at stake to this man, a proof of his value. However there is something else, there is actually Bertie's ability to make constantly fun of his handicap, there is the support of a wife, there is a wish to a normal life. Colin Firth has again proven himself an admirable actor and above all a very moving one. Helena Bonham Carter mixes strength of mind and delicacy, and Geoffrey Rush acts, as usual, with restrain to develop all the potential of his character, sometimes friendly, sometimes fun, always willing to do the best.

This paragraph will be devoted to those of you who like-love-are crazy about the 1995 BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. Obviously you will have noticed the presence of Colin “Darcy” Firth in the film but, have you recognised Jennifer “Lizzie” Ehle as Myrtle Logue ?! I have, and I can't express how happy I was of their actual meeting near the end. Darcy and Lizzie at last together again since 1995 ! All right, I deserve what you are saying-thinking...
Giles
Membre étranger

Masculin
Loisirs :  

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Lun 21 Fév - 5:18

MC a écrit:
I wonder why the French translation is what it actually is.
The french determiner un has many connotations besides "one" and "a"; in some instances it means "comparable to" or "equal to" as in the phrase C'est un don Juan and is not an indeterminate in this case, but a comparative. I think the translator may have used un with this (somewhat rare, though) meaning in mind. Or for effect.

I didn't like the movie not so much because of the historical shortcuts or the way in which the royal family is whitewashed of almost every dubious political outlook they shared and inconsiderate fréquentations (the appeasement of Germany for instance) they entertained, but mainly because, for me, the acting and the imprint didn't feel british at all. I very much doubt that in the 30s the King or anyone would have moved around the palace in shirtsleeves. There's also the feeling that Lionel Logue is overdoing it but one has to admit that a movie must tighten things a bit (Logue had worked with the Duke of York on his speech impediment since 1926, not just a few weeks before the Address) but there's no proof whatsoever in any official biography that the king made fun of his stammer.

George VI Address as recorded on BBC Archives (link) almost has nothing to do with what we hear and see in the movie. There was certainly no background of german music.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
MC

Féminin
Verseau Chat

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Lun 21 Fév - 10:08

I know I am partial because I love the actors.

Event though it is said to be a historical movie, I don't look so much for historical truth, because I am getting used to writers' adapting a true story into something fit for the screens.

And yet, I wonder whether historical truth was really intended. It can't be left aside that's for sure but we clearly understand that it is the relationship between these to men that is put in the forefront.
Giles
Membre étranger

Masculin
Loisirs :  

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Lun 21 Fév - 10:14

MC a écrit:
[…] we clearly understand that it is the relationship between these two men that is put in the forefront.
You're absolutely right; historical accuracy would have been boring. I didn't react to the actors, though (but that can't be helped).
MC

Féminin
Verseau Chat

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Lun 21 Fév - 11:41

Following Colin Firth's career for a long time, I think he deserves the prizes he has been awarded. Let's hope for the Oscar ! The other actors, as I said earlier, played as usual, even though it's not the usual type of roles Helena Bonham-Carter has used us to see her in !
Giles
Membre étranger

Masculin
Loisirs :  

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Mer 23 Fév - 8:45

MC a écrit:
Following Colin Firth's career for a long time […]
Ah… That explains a lot !
MC

Féminin
Verseau Chat

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Mer 23 Fév - 8:47

I know he played in really bad movies (he has to pay the bills like anyone) but he is nonetheless a great actor
Giles
Membre étranger

Masculin
Loisirs :  

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Mer 23 Fév - 9:11

MC a écrit:
(he has to pay the bills like anyone)
Of course.

Maybe the whole movie was made with less mature viewers in mind… it comes through like it was "manufactured" up to a point for the American public. I was born in England and in my opinion the movie didn't feel British at all. It may look genuine to French viewers, though.
Giles
Membre étranger

Masculin
Loisirs :  

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Lun 28 Fév - 5:42

“And the best picture Oscar goes to... The King's Speech”. Bravo to them !
MC

Féminin
Verseau Chat

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Lun 28 Fév - 8:48

awesome !
Itsumo-yo
Littérophage Notabéniste Avec Mention.

Masculin
Sagittaire Dragon
Emploi : Tuteur-enseignant et guide-conférencier
Loisirs : voyages, lecture, art, manga, histoire

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Sam 16 Juin - 21:45

Je ne l'ai vu que récemment, mais j'ai adoré ce film, excellemment joué par tous les acteurs et fort bien construit. C'est vrai qu'il peut être un peu critiquable en tant que compte-rendu historique - ce qui n'est pas le but d'un film de divertissement - mais malgré tout il en apprend sûrement beaucoup aux jeunes Français, qui ignorent tout de ces péripéties. Le point que je crois le plus critiquable sur un plan de rigueur historique est que, si je ne me trompe, c'est la sympathie avérée d'Edouard VIII pour Hitler, et son intention de renforcer le pouvoir royal à l'encontre de la Chambre, qui motiva Baldwin et Churchill à déterrer et clamer l'antique interdit royal à épouser une divorcée. Le film fait juste une allusion aux contacts d'Edouard avec Ribbentrop, ce me semble, et c'est très léger là-dessus donc. En revanche, "Bertie" était presque aussi conscient de la dangerosité extrême d'Hitler que le fut Churchill dès le début.
Une chose est sûre, le film de la "réalisatrice" Madonna essayant de nous émouvoir sur le triste destin d'Edouard et de Mrs Wallis, fuyant avec digne chagrin de château d'Ile-de-France en palace de la Riviera, ne risque pas de nous faire verser beaucoup de larmes....
MC

Féminin
Verseau Chat

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Dim 17 Juin - 23:03

Justement, j'ai vu WE de Madonna. Voici mon avis, je l'ai plutôt aimé. Il y avait de très bonnes choses.
Itsumo-yo

Masculin
Sagittaire Dragon

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Lun 18 Juin - 9:58

J'ai lu ton commentaire avec intérêt, MC ; bon, je ne suis pas très chaud pour voir le film, mais comme j'ai remarqué chez toi des goûts plutôt analogues aux miens, si quelque ami(e) me suggère de le voir, je me laisserai tenter.
Ton blog a l'air sympa, et quand j'aurai plus de temps, je m'y inscrirai sans doute.
MC

Féminin
Verseau Chat

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Lun 18 Juin - 20:32

Je pense qu'il ne fait pas avoir d'idées préconçues sur Madonna. Même si maintenant son talent artistique frôle le zéro, elle se défend au cinéma.
Itsumo-yo

Masculin
Sagittaire Dragon

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   Sam 23 Juin - 18:46

MC a écrit:
Je pense qu'il ne faut pas avoir d'idées préconçues sur Madonna. Même si maintenant son talent artistique frôle le zéro, elle se défend au cinéma.

Toutafè, MC ! ne jamais avoir d'idées préconçues, car elles sont tirées de généralisations, autant dire d'erreurs fatales.
Musicalement / chorégraphiquement, Madonna ne fait plus que se répéter dans la surenchère, ça je le constate aussi. De même d'ailleurs que son extraordinaire disciple Lady Gaga, qui a mis encore moins de temps pour ça, après à peine deux ans de clips époustouflants que j'ai adorés.
Mais certes, il se peut très bien que Madonna ait une créativité à présent au cinéma. Et Lady Gaga, très bonne pianiste, saura peut-être prendre un virage aussi.

Pour en revenir au King's Speech, j'ai regretté le peu d'approfondissement de la personnalité de la duchesse d'York, future reine. Sans la noircir pour autant, le film aurait pu suggérer une certaine dose d'ambition personnelle secrète dans son appui indéfectible à son Bertie... ce qui n'exclut pas l'amour ni le dévouement. Disons qu'elle aurait parue ainsi moins lisse, moins "objet d'hagiographie".
Mais j'ai adoré le film quand même, hein !

Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper   

The King's Speech - Tom Hooper

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1